Facebook Twitter Twitter

Monday, June 9, 2014

Summer School

Today was the first day of Summer School. I don't know what I was thinking!!!! First off, I have the little ones going into Kindergarten. Hello, I just said goodbye to the highest group I've ever had and NOW I have kids who can't sit still, write their names, match letters, or use scissors/glue. Secondly, my mind, body, and soul think I need to be on summer vacation. Getting up at 5:30 in the morning is CRAZY! However, the good news is, I get to push the reset in my brain and get ready for the beginning of the school year. 
After I pick up my new batch of kids, we got right to work. I needed to see what they could do and not do. So, I gave them a sentence strip with their name on it and a tub of foam alphabet stickers. The assignment; find the letters of your name and place them on top of the letters on your sentences strip. Sound pretty simple right?! NOPE! It was so hard for them. So, now you have a sense of where we are starting. Next, we started math. I have been given permission by my administrator to use:
I am so excited to  do this unit with my summer school kids. But even more excited to teach these units with my Cubs next year. One of the activities we did today was to sort their shoes. Well, I don't know how the kids are where you teach, but my littles did NOT want to take off their shoes and put them in the circle. Not sure why? Maybe they didn't think they'd get them back. I did decide I better take a picture of them with their shoes so everyone would leave with the same shoes they came with. 
I am happy to report, we all left with the shoes we came with! 

After math we do an enrichment hour. We are doing all kinds of things with space this week. After reading a book about space we did a fun art project. Wish I would have taken a picture. We placed space foam stickers on black paper then used silver and gold paint to marble paint. They turned out really cute. 

Tomorrow, we are painting with Sweetened Condensed Milk...




No comments:

Post a Comment